These forums are read-only and considered to be an archive. Please use the new Community for future interaction and posts.

Root Folder problem

I am testing the trial version.  I create a root folder (eg. D:\FileVista\TestingFolder ) in the admin panel and assign the access permission, and logout. When I using admin login again, 
The following error would be prompt:

"An error occured: 

Attempted to access a path and is not on the disk"

I tried many times, and then go the D:\FileVista and create a folder
named TestingFolder physically, the problem solved.  

I guess there is something i am missing of the configuration and expect the root folder can be created through the admin panel.
ken 7/11/2007 3:37 AM
You should create the physical folder before assigning a root folder to it as creating all the folders in a path may not be always possible because of permissions. However you are right, a warning message can be showed when creating a root folder with a non-existing path.
Cem Alacayir 7/11/2007 4:07 AM
Hi:

I'm trying the trial version of filevista. I was wondering if there's a way to auto create the folder on the physical disk when I create the root folder on the admin screen from the web. Do I have to physically create the folder first?

Please advise.

Thanx.
David
David 10/18/2007 5:22 PM
I agree.  We are trial testing the product as well.

It's very unfortunate that you still need to physically access the server to create different root folders.  We really like the web administration aspect of the product and would prefer that everything can be done over the web.

Having to create a physical folder means you are dependent on the server systems admin and significantly reduces the usefulness of web administration.

Dan
Dan 10/23/2007 2:59 AM
Ok, this is an easy feature to add so I will let you know shortly.
Cem Alacayir 10/24/2007 6:37 PM
Cem, thanks for your quick response!  Looking forward to this new functionality.  Dan
Dan 10/25/2007 5:59 AM
Dan, this feature is ready in version 2.8. I have sent you an email.
Cem Alacayir 11/8/2007 12:27 PM
Hello,

This question is related to this feature but a little different.

I set FileVista up for our company where an employee will handle the user creation and settings. This employee is not in an admin group and don't have access to the web server.

It's working fine but they have to remember the path to type into the Path field every time they try to create a root folder.
Is there any way to pre-set this path in a setting file somewhere? a default path perhaps?

Thanks,
Trong Tran
BetaTester 6/10/2009 2:32 PM
I recommend you to use "group manager" (sub-administrator) feature.
Create one main root folder pointing to for instance c:\FileVistaContent\.
Then create a group and make that employee the group manager. Assign this group to the main root folder with full permissions.
This way the employee will not need to create root folders. When he logs in, he will see a restricted administration panel where he will be able to administrate the group members and only the assigned root folders.

He can create subfolders under this main folder and assign each subfolder different permissions on the root folder properties dialog box.

Note that subfolders inherit the permissions of the root folder by default.
So I recommend starting with restrictive permissions on the root, then you can set higher permissions for users and groups on the subfolders.

This will be also more secure way as he will not be able to create arbitrary root folders pointing to system folders.
Cem Alacayir 6/18/2009 3:38 PM
Sorry to piggyback on an old thread, but I have one root folder set to ~/App_Data/{user.name}. Permissions on that root folder give Users and Admins all rights to it. When I add a new user, they get the "Attempted to access a path and is not on the disk" error. If I blow away the root folder and add it back (exactly the same), their directory is created and everything is fine.

Reading the above posts, it seems that ~/App_Data/Bob should be created automatically in the latest version? Is there a permission I need to tweak to get this to work? I have the same issue, the admins for this aren't going to have file system access to the physical server.

Thank you, Ck.
Chris King 9/2/2010 1:56 PM
Hi All,

Recently i am experiecing this problem when using admin to login. I didn't have this problem before.  I cannot view the left tree folder menu as an admin.  Regular users are ok.  However, when i click ok to close the error windows, i am able to go to the administration section.  

"An error occured: 

Attempted to access a path and is not on the disk"

Please help? What should I do to fix this problem?

thanks all,
Doug
Douglas 11/4/2010 2:05 PM
""""I recommend you to use "group manager" (sub-administrator) feature.
Create one main root folder pointing to for instance c:\FileVistaContent\.
Then create a group and make that employee the group manager. Assign this group to the main root folder with full permissions.
This way the employee will not need to create root folders. When he logs in, he will see a restricted administration panel where he will be able to administrate the group members and only the assigned root folders.

He can create subfolders under this main folder and assign each subfolder different permissions on the root folder properties dialog box.

Note that subfolders inherit the permissions of the root folder by default.
So I recommend starting with restrictive permissions on the root, then you can set higher permissions for users and groups on the subfolders.

This will be also more secure way as he will not be able to create arbitrary root folders pointing to system folders.
""""

This does not work.  In the first paragraph you say "Then create a group and make that employee the group manager. Assign this group to the main root folder with <b>full permissions.</b>"  Then in the third paragraph you say "Note that subfolders inherit the permissions of the root folder by default.  So I recommend starting with <b>restrictive</b> permissions on the root, then you can set higher permissions for users and groups on the subfolders."

When you do this, the group manage is restricted from all the folders because he is a member of the group.

The only way I can see to accomplish using group manager permissions is to set granular permissions on every new folder created.  Giving permissions to the user that should have permission and applying non-permissions for every other user in the database.  Other than that you would have to give the group manager root folder admin rights and then he is able to create root folders in any folder on the entire hard drive.  That is not acceptable and is a major security flaw.

Why is it so hard to simply setup a group administrator that does not have access to the entire server drive and can add users and give those users access to a specific folder and no others?
bfrench 11/25/2010 4:38 PM
My client is a school district trying to make curriculum available to anybody who wants it. I'm concerned about the permissions issues in the entries above.

I have about 4 people who need to be able to add files. Each one is responsible for their own department input plus in some cases they may also add to one or two other dept directories. All the documents added by anybody need to be available for downloading by the general public.  Any suggestions how to set up the folder structure and permissions? There are over 5,000 files, some nested 4 levels deep.
atarvin 11/29/2010 4:35 PM